Viljoen's Praise & Prayer Information
- For God’s daily guidance, grace and love. It is such a privilege to walk with Jesus and reveal His “presence” each day to other people!
- For all of you who are are praying for us and supporting us!
- Dale will celebrate 40 years in Hokkaido, Japan, with OMF on March 3rd. This is also the day when he preaches his last sermon at Wakaba Church (just outside Sapporo city). Each month for almost two years Dale has preached in this “pastorless church” and we are thrilled that this church will welcome Pastor Matsumoto from April 1st.
- Dad Harless peacefully went to heaven on October 1st, 2018, only four days after receiving home hospice care. We are so grateful for how God worked in so many big and small ways. The Harless home in Turlock was also sold after being on the market for only two days! The funeral/memorial service was held on Sunday, October 7.
- We were able to go to San Diego over Christmas to be with Mom Harless and to celebrate her birthday.
- Dale had an excellent six weeks in South Africa visiting many churches and prayer and financial supporters. God protected Dale from what could have been a nasty traffic accident.
- Immediately after returning from South Africa we visited a Cafe / English Bible Community that had been started over 11 years ago by a couple who are retiring to Alaska. This was December 10th. Since then, God has been guiding us both to take over this ministry! We praise God for His guidance and assurance that He will be in all the details. Dale will need to start his own business…
- That Dale was able to be trained as a CernySmith Assessment member care counsellor in 2018.
- Karen continues to be able to keep ahead of the numerous requests for short term ministry in Hokkaido, and to follow-up and care for the workers that are currently here.
- For the people who are currently in Bible studies at Sapporo Central Church.
- For an ongoing sense that God is doing “a new thing” in Hokkaido. And in our expanding ministry!
- Jesus continues to bless us with renewed and improved health. We are so grateful to God for providing financially so that we could to go visit Karen’s parents in California.
- Karen enjoys meeting the members that she is praying for / pastoring as part of her role on the Hokkaido Sector Leadership Team.
- Praise that our current OMF support is 100%! Thank you!!
- May the many not-yet-following-Jesus people who are in some way connected to Central Church have the faith and courage to follow the Lord.
- Pray for the many church people who are caring for elderly and sick parents.
- Pastor Ozawa lectures at the Hokkaido Bible Institute, serves on the main HBI committee that oversees the courses, and of course is busy pastoring at Sapporo Central Church. Pray for grace, wisdom and strength.
- Please pray for the elderly and frail in the church.
- Due to family illnesses and people being transferred outside Hokkaido, the number of worshippers at the Sunday Worship Service has dropped to around 40. Pray for God’s Spirit to continue to work, and for Jesus to be lifted high to be seen, understood and accepted.
- After April we will try and continue to be in fellowship with this church — please pray for wisdom to know how to make this happen.
- Michael and Haruhi Widmer are also OMF workers who attend Chuo Church. Michael and Haruhi teach at the Hokkaido Bible Institute and Haruhi is also involved with giving language advice at OMF's Language and Culture Center.
COEN Life (Cafe/English/Bible Community) Take a look at this ministry here.
- Taking over the rental contract — pray that the quarter of a million yen rent and the expenses for staffing and utilities would be met each month.
- We need to re-register the Cafe with the health authorities. Both of us will undergo training on February 19th to get a health certification; the on-site inspection of the Cafe by the authorities will be the last week in March.
- For wisdom regarding how much we should be involved with actual English teaching.
- That God will give us volunteers, both short and long term, to run the cafe and to connect with the Japanese people who attend.
- For wisdom and understanding of all the new Japanese words and phrases as we apply to begin a business. Also for understanding of the complex tax issues involved.
- For preparation to lead, preach and teach the Bible Community.
- That God would continue to sustain, bless and use a lovely Japanese lady who will continue to be the “connection person” during this transition period.
- To “celebrate” God’s faithfulness over 40 years, we are going to be on retreat at Bethany in Hong Kong, March 11-18. May Jesus meet with and bless us in preparation for our expanding ministry in Sapporo.
- The Sapporo Keswick Convention will be held on February 26-28. Dale is on the Steering Committee and will lead on the Thursday morning.
- There are a number of prayer teams planned for 2019 which means that Karen is very busy organizing these. May everything fall into place. May God provide just the right fit of people to take part in praying around Hokkaido
- Samuel Figilister and his wife, Tina, are the OMF Hokkaido Sector Leaders. Pray for them and for Karen as she serves on the Hokkaido Sector Leadership Team.
- Many of our colleagues and supporters are struggling with major illnesses. Ask God to help us continue to faithfully pray for those undergoing severe trials.
- Karen as Serve Japan Coordinator for Hokkaido, continues to plan for and process new Short Term Workers.
- For more intercessors (for Japan and for ourselves)!
- Dale will continue to officiate at weddings.
- Please pray for the concept of “grace” to be rediscovered in the Japanese (and Western) church.
- Please continue to pray for God to guide and provide for Peter in Hokkaido andd to protect Dale's other two sons. Luke is exploring South America.
- Pray that God will continue to meet our personal financial needs, and provide a place for us to live in long-term.
more information for long-term prayer
- Our basic ministry is to support the Japanese pastor and his wife (Pastor and Mrs. Ozawa) who are doing a tremendous job - grace filled preaching, teaching and living.
- Karen leads the service once a month; takes part in the mid-week ladies meeting and does evangelistic events.
- Dale meets with the pastor and preaches occasionally.
- We both seek to encourage, counsel and help the church members "behind the scene" as much as possible so as to enable the Pastor to be clearly seen as the leader.
- Karen is the Serve Japan Co-ordinator for Hokkaido. Her role has now expanded to having direct contact with the sending countries.
- Karen serves on the OMF Hokkaido Sector Leadership Team, along with the team leader and his wife and three others.
- Dale serves as the OMF representative on Hocmin, an interdenominational group that seeks to build up churches in Hokkaido. Hocmin was very involved with ministering to the Iwate area after the 2011 tsunami and now is networking with and training pastors in Hokkaido in order to respond to a “local” disaster that may occur.
- Dale also serves on the Samariyakai Board. The Samariyakai was started by OMF about 38 years ago as an alcoholic live-in recovery and rehabilitation centre and is now under Japanese leadership.
- Dale serves on the Keswick Convention preparation meetings.
- Dale preaches at other Japanese churches as needed to enable Japanese pastors to get rest or to take other speaking opportunities.
- Wedding ministry — Dale. This involves conducting weddings with the opportunity to speak about the Living Creator God who through Jesus reveals and gives us His love. 99.9% of all in the congregations have never heard this! This ministry is loosely linked to Chuo Church, and we seek to link the couples to Chuo Church and other churches.
- Counselling non-Christian couples.
- Evangelising the couples at Christmas time and with New Year cards and Christmas evangelistic presents.
- Both of us: opportunities encouraging other foreigners and missionaries.
Chuo Church = Sapporo Chuo (Central) Evangelical Christian Church
JECA = Japanese Evangelical Church Association
HOCMIN = Hokkaido Christian Mission Network
TCK = Third Cultural Kid
PTL = Praise the Lord!
US = United States of America
SA = South Africa
12 ways to focus our prayers for revival in japan
1 Workers for the Harvest Field
Lord, raise up missionaries, pastors, evangelists, lay leaders, witnesses in the workplace.
2 Unity and Cooperation
Lord, may churches work together, seek to overcome differences, love one another.
3 Equipped for Battle
Lord, help your people to fight with spiritual armour and shine as lights in the darkness.
4 OMF Japan
Lord, show us clearly what we should be and do as we are here ‘for such a time as this.’
5 Spiritual Vitality
Lord, may your people worship you joyfully, serve you wholeheartedly, witness boldly.
6 Pastors and Churches
Lord, encourage and envision pastors; may churches overflow with love, joy and hope.
Lord, may whole families believe in Jesus, from small children to elderly grandparents.
8 The Political Scene
Lord, grant restraint to leaders and strengthen believers to stand firm when it gets tough.
Lord, purify your church, help your people to live holy lives and deal with secret sins.
10 Evangelism and Discipleship
Lord, may your people be built up in their faith and have a passion to proclaim the gospel.
11 Tohoku Vision 2015: to see 30 workers in Tohoku
Lord, have mercy on Tohoku, provide the needed workers and bring many to know Jesus.
12 Repentance, Renewal, Revival!
Lord, bring many to repentance, renew your people and revive your church.
"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."
To walk with the Living God,
glorifying Him each day as we reveal
His love and grace.