about omf international
OMF serves the church and brings the gospel to many of the countries in East Asia, and also has a pioneering ministry. OMF helps place Christians with professional skills in China and other Asian countries, and shares the love of Christ with East Asians worldwide.
Mission of OMF International:“We share the good news of Jesus Christ in all its fullness with East Asia’s peoples to the glory of God.”
Vision of OMF International:“Through God’s grace, we aim to see an indigenous, biblical church movement in each people group of East Asia, evangelising their own people and reaching out in mission to other peoples.”
Prayer of OMF International:“As a Fellowship, we are asking God for at least 1,000 new workers over the next 7 years (counting from mid-2015).”
- What We Do
- Our Values
- What We Believe
An OMF Timeline1832 James Hudson Taylor is born.
1853 Hudson Taylor embarks on his first missionary voyage to China.
1865 Taylor founds the CIM (China Inland Mission).
1866 Taylor, his wife, four children and 16 missionaries, sail for China. During the journey 20 crew members become Christians.
1900 The Boxer Uprising. Thousands of Chinese Christians and hundreds of missionaries are murdered, including 58 adults and 21 children from CIM.
1905 Taylor dies in Changsha, China, aged 73.
1949 The Communists take over China.
1950 The evacuation of CIM workers begins.
1953 The ‘reluctant exodus’ of CIM workers is complete. OMF missionaries are now working in Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Malaysia.
1975 OMF (Overseas Missionary Fellowship) and BEM (Borneo Evangelical Mission) integrate their work.
1980 Rapid changes in East Asia’s economy enable Christians with professional skills to work in countries that are closed to traditional missionary work.
2006 Patrick Fung takes over as OMF’s first Asian General Director
Now We currently have just under 1400 members from 40 nations working throughout East Asia , and serving in Western nations where East Asians work or study .
Five Challenges1. To pursue holiness
2. To reach the unreached of East Asia
3. To Call for Prayer for 900 New Workers
4. To assess, care for and equip the workers God brings us
5. To engage with the sending church in fresh ways
Five priorities for reaching the unreached1. Fresh initiatives in ministry to Muslims
2. Persevering and expanding ministry to Buddhist-influenced peoples
3. Taking up more of the many opportunities in China
4. Reaching East Asia’s Diaspora in East Asia and around the world
5. Kindling indigenous missionary movements
Praying as an expression of faith is an integral part of our life and service.
Depending on God for holy living, fruit in our work and for all our needs.
Inviting others to join us in a life of faith and prayer.
2. We are a FELLOWSHIP
Pursuing our vision and mission together.
Caring for and supporting each other and sharing resources.
Encouraging and enhancing each other’s effectiveness.
3. We are Passionate to Reach the UNREACHED
Keeping a sharp focus on the neglected frontiers.
Constantly evaluating and innovating in line with our vision.
Taking prayerful risks and persevering with the task God has given us.
4. We Practice INCARNATIONAL Ministry
Identifying with the people and living an appropriate lifestyle.
Learning culture, language and worldview.
Working in ways that encourage indigenous movements.
5. We PARTNER in Ministry
with sending churches globally.
with local churches in the ministry context.
with likeminded Christians and mission agencies.
6. We LEAD from the MINISTRY Context
Strategy is developed by those engaged in the ministry.
Structures, administration and policies are designed to serve the ministry.
Home and field work together to accomplish the ministry objectives.
7. We Celebrate DIVERSITY IN UNITY
Valuing the diversity that God has given us – such as ethnic, denominational, generational, personality, gifts, gender.
Respecting one another and maintaining our unity in Christ.
Fostering unity and cooperation among Christians.
- We believe in the one, holy, sovereign, creating and redeeming God, eternally existing in three Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the divine inspiration and entire trustworthiness of the Bible, its infallible teaching and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct; and its normative value for all peoples, at all times, in all cultures. We believe that all people without distinction are made in the image of God, but all are now sinners and have incurred both God’s holy wrath and their own shame and guilt. All are therefore in utter need of redemption.
- We believe in Jesus Christ our Lord, the incarnate Son of God, uniquely God-man and the only Saviour. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, sacrificial death, bodily resurrection and ascension. We believe He has achieved the final defeat of Satan and all evil powers.
- We believe in the justification of sinners by God’s grace, through faith in Christ alone.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit and His convicting, regenerating, sanctifying and reviving work. He guides and empowers individuals and churches in their service to God and all people.
- We believe in the unity and priesthood of all believers who together form the one, holy, universal, apostolic church.
- We believe in the visible, personal return of Jesus Christ in power and great glory to judge both the living and the dead. We believe that the Scriptures set out only two destinies for humanity; the joyful prospect of eternal life in the presence of God for those who have received Christ and the agonising prospect of eternal separation from God for those who have rejected Him.
"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."
To walk with the Living God,
glorifying Him each day as we reveal
His love and grace.